Events today include:
- Rochester – 8:30-10 a.m., MnDOT Rochester maintenance facility, 2900 48th St. NW
Speakers: District Engineer Jeff Vlaminck; Laura Askelin, Southeast Minnesota Area Labor Council; Rochester Mayor Ardell Brede; Lt. Heath Dienger, Minnesota State Patrol.
- Roseville – 9 a.m., MnDOT Waters Edge building, 1500 W. County Road B-2
Speakers: MnDOT Commissioner Charlie Zelle; District Engineer Scott McBride; Minnesota State Patrol Sergeant Paul Skoglund; Tim Worke, Association of General Contractors; Mike Lindholt, President of AFSCME Local 221.
- Mankato – 12:15 p.m., MnDOT Mankato Headquarters maintenance facility,
2151 Bassett Drive
Speakers: Representatives from AFSCME Local 280, Mankato Building Trades, State Patrol and MnDOT.
In recognition of Worker Memorial Day, the I-35W bridge in Minneapolis will be lit orange from midnight-11:59 p.m. Monday, April 29.MnDOT reminds the public that motorists suffer the vast majority of work zone deaths and injuries
MnDOT urges motorists to follow these recommendations in work zones:
• Stay alert
• Watch for signs, equipment and workers
• Minimize distractions, such as using cell phones, eating or drinking
• Avoid tailgating
• Follow posted speed limits and directional signs
• Stay in one lane while driving through a work zone