The entire Mankato area community is invited to participate alongside student volunteers, the Community Engagement Office leadership team and campus and community partners. For more information on how to participate, call 507-389-6076.
Planned events during November include:
- Turkey “Palooza” (Nov. 1 - 30): A Campus Kitchen seasonal fundraiser. Individuals and departments are invited to donate to offset the cost of our Campus Kitchen meal service. Donation boxes are at each cash register in the Centennial Student Union or can be brought to or mailed to Campus Kitchen, Centennial Student Union 173.
- National Hunger and Homelessness Week Partner Exhibit (Nov. 18 - 22): The “Face of Hunger and Homelessness” will be exhibited all week in the Centennial Student Union. This exhibit will showcase Minnesota State Mankato’s community partners and demonstrate how our community works together to relieve hunger. There will be activities, surprises and free popcorn all week.
- “Stop Hunger” Food Drive and Chili Cook-Off (Nov. 20): Annual events sponsored by Sodexo. The “Stop Hunger” food drive will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., and the chili cook-off will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The events will benefit Minnesota State Mankato’s own Campus Kitchen.
- Showing of documentary, “A Place at the Table” (Nov. 20): An award-winning documentary on working to stop community hunger will be shown from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in Centennial Student Union’s Ostrander Auditorium. Admission is free.
- “Food Not Bombs” Smashing Hunger tour with national speaker Keith McHenry (Nov. 21): McHenry, who makes presentations throughout the United States and Canada, will speak from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in Wiecking Auditorium about how individuals can activate change and make a difference in the lives of others in an effort to end hunger. His website is available at http://www.foodnotbombs.net/speaker.html. Admission is free.
- Bagging Hunger (Nov. 21): Grocery bag giveaways will be assembled from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. in Campus Kitchen for Campus Kitchen meal recipients. Slots are limited for this event.